[Ads-l] Antedating mullet (hairstyle)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 15 03:03:45 UTC 2015

I agree with Fred -- looks like Google Books is conflating the 1973
novel _Cinderella Liberty_ (written by Darryl Ponicsan) with an
unrelated book of the same title from 2013 (written and self-published
by Cat Johnson). The "mullet" cite is from the latter, and it has no
connection to the former beyond the title, as far as I can see.

For those interested in the hunt for "mullet" antedatings, I recommend
this installment of the OUP podcast Oxford Comment, where you can hear
from Katherine Martin and others about the failed quest to antedate
the Beastie Boys:

http://blog.oup.com/2015/06/mullet-word-origins/