[Ads-l] Jovians and Martians

Mon Oct 19 14:35:12 UTC 2015

Great citations, Bill! Apparently, the "Martians" displaced the
"Martialites". I think there was a typo in your message the Henderson,
NC citation was dated September 26, 1869 and not 1962.

Following your lead I located a citation dated September 2, 1869 which
acknowledged a periodical called "Once a Week". (The word "evidently"
is misspelled "evidenty".)

Date: September 02, 1869
Newspaper: The Dundee Courier & Argus
Newspaper Location: Dundee, Scotland
Short Item: Signalling the Planets
Quote Page 3, Column 3
Issue 5019
Database: 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

[Begin excerpt]
SIGNALLING THE PLANETS.--A French idealist,
evidenty suffering from telegraphy on the brain,
proposes to the Academy of Sciences to establish
communication with the people of the planets, if any
such there be. His notion is to mount a great
mirror upon the earth, and give flashing signals to
Mars and Jupiter. He thinks that if these are
repeated regularly, in batches of a certain number, the
Martians or the Jovians, as the case may be, will
come to discern that they mean something, and will
return them; and that thus a code will be eventually
agreed upon, so that we may talk across the solar
system just as we do across a field.--Once a Week.
[End excerpt]

Garson