[Ads-l] "just as good _of_ a(n) NP"

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Oct 19 16:48:19 UTC 2015

> On Oct 19, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "just as good _of_ a(n) NP"
>
> Agreed on the widespread popularity of the + versions for younger =
> speakers, and on the citation of the recency effect, but I'm not sure =
> that we really be sure that (quoting Arnold, with contrastive =
> *highlighting* added) for the relevant speakers (of any age) who =
> accept/produce the +of version in the relevant contexts that
>
>> it is now simply *the* standard form.  they understand the older -of =
> EDM, but
>> for them it must come from an odd non-standard dialect, or it=E2=80=99s
>> terminally old-fashioned, or it=E2=80=99s a typo.
>
> Can we be sure, without direct empirical feedback, that such speakers =
> don't accept both + and - versions as standard and natural?

actually, i had a whole class of stanford undergraduates who weighed in on the question when the subject came up in class, and they all though the +of versions were just *mistakes* — failures to Include All Necessary Words, in fact (they had that concept).  a few of them said they’d been taught not to use of “of”, but they dismissed that advice as dumb stuff that schoolteachers try to impose on kids.

since then, i’ve unsystematically questioned other undergraduates, and older people.  the youngfolk are unanimous.  but even a few of the older informants (one in his 50s!) treated  +of EDM as weird and foreign to them.

i stopped collecting examples of +of EDM years ago; there were just too many of them.

arnold