[Ads-l] "shut up talking"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Oct 20 10:53:24 UTC 2015

Fwiw, I've heard "shut up talking..." before.
Stephen

From: American Dialect Society <...> on behalf of Geoffrey Nunberg <...>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 9:32 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] "shut up talking"

“I have told my own Republican colleagues and friends: Shut up talking about things that you don’t know anything about,” Mr. Gowdy said. “And unless you’re on the committee, you have no idea what we have done, why we have done it and what new facts we have found.”

I've never heard this. The always reliable Urban Dictionary says it’s associated with Black speech, though the clutch of examples on the web don’t bear that out  particularly (a couple are UK — http://www.lizgoodchild.co.uk/?p=4003). Gowdy’s usage leads me to think it may be associated with persons of choler.

Geoff