[Ads-l] "That's all she wrote" (1935-1941)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 21 12:31:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 4:28 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> By 1911 a song with missing words was in circulation. The song was
> widely reprinted, and it was somehow used in a musical contest. The
> final line of the song used an instance of the saying to denote a
> conclusory outcome.
>
> [Begin final line of song]
> "We're married." This was all she wrote.
> [End final line song]

Thanks for that, Garson, and thanks for taking the time to look.

Yes, I had seen this and a few anecdotes and a poem (all of which
included the phrase "all she wrote") in my search, but these just
didn't speak to me as possible points of origin, but I could well be
wrong in my hunch.

-- Bonnie