[Ads-l] Joke: "He's too caustic." "Hang the expense! Get him!" (1930) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Oct 23 14:06:15 UTC 2015

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

_Motion Picture News_ 11 Jan 1930 p 28 col 3

" Walter Winchell relates "a quip that Robert C. Benchley spread around the Fulton Theatre foyer the other first-night. It concerns the two Hollywood movie magnates who graduated to the Gold Coast from the Garment Centre. They were in conference trying to save a picture that lacked, what critics usually call, "a wallop."

"If we could only get someone to fix it up," said one.

'Why don't you get Jim Tully," suggested an executive.

"Jim Tully is too caustic!"

"Oh," thundered one of the magnates, "the devil with the cost, get him." "