[Ads-l] elite, n.

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun Oct 25 00:16:10 UTC 2015

It used to be the "effete East".  Is it now the "elite East"?  (And "the press" is Eastern -- I'm sure the speaker was thinking of The New York Times and the Washington Post.)

Joel

      From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2015 6:58 PM
 Subject: [ADS-L] elite, n.

Surely we're familiar with the relatively recent right-wing populist use of
"elites" as a disparaging term.  OED isn't.

I find a useful citation I jotted on a scrap of paper within the past three
or four months. It comes from a recent TV show, though I can't say
precisely what:

"The elites - the press, Harvard, the East Coast establishment."

JL