[Ads-l] 'gig' = (non-show-business) engagement, 1952

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Oct 25 23:32:28 UTC 2015

Hmm. The 1908 cite, used among vaudeville performers, is a clear antecedent for the musical engagement use. I don’t think the military sense (along with the verbal form “to be gigged”)—which Norman Mailer discusses in another context—could be the direct ancestor of Kerouac’s use, which seems to be drawn from the musicians’ use of the word. (Kerouac uses ‘gig’ elsewhere to describe a musician’s engagement, and his own poetry readings with jazz accompaniment.)
The 1952 usage in the Baltimore Afro-American is clearly related to Kerouac’s, the difference being that in the Kerouac sense, like the musicians’ sense, a gig was NOT a steady job. (Unless Matthews got it wrong.)

Geoff