[Ads-l] Modern Proverb: There ain't no such thing as free lunch

Mon Oct 26 19:03:17 UTC 2015

Intriguing lead, Fred. Below is a match circa 1958 that also assigns
the adage to Jake Falstaff. Now, there are two candidates for
authorship, and each has some evidentiary support: Walter Morrow and
Jake Falstaff (Herman Fetzer).

Year: 1958 (uncertain)
Periodical: Automation
Volume 5
Quote: Page 46
(Google Books snippet view; text not visible in snippet; data may be inaccurate)

[Begin raw OCR from GB]
Jake Falstaff probably had answer when he said that econo ics can be
summed up in eij words: "There ain't no such th as free lunch." But
automal may find wheeled bolsters a ? to save a buck in these days v\
things are only normal and ...
[End raw OCR from GB]

Garson