[Ads-l] Jazz Girls, 1915?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 26 22:27:43 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, like "jazz babies," those female jazz enthusiasts who the OED
> informs us were "frequently regarded as somewhat dissolute"! (The
> titular "jazz baby" of the 1919 song wanted to be "jazzing all the
> time.")

For the little that it's worth, back in 1955, my immediate supervisor, a
63-year-old who referred to himself as "Dave Beach, the old Irishman,"
always used "jazz" only to refer *literally* to sexual activity. That is,
he'd say things like, "I could jazz all night long, when I was a youngún!"
but he'd say, "Well, Bobby's really fucked up, this time."

--
-Wilson
-----