[Ads-l] novel = 'issue-length comic-book story'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 29 13:45:08 UTC 2015

No, not a "graphic novel."  This nuance, unrecognized by OED, was familiar
to me from DC comics in the late '50s and early '60s.

A comic-book "novel" was a long story, usually in three parts to correspond
to the customary three independent stories in the magazine.

The Wiki entry on Supergirl shows a relevant cover from August, 1958:

"SUPERMAN   Featuring a Great 3-Part Novel: 'The Girl of Steel!'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl

JL