[Ads-l] antedating Chicom (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Tue Sep 1 21:56:48 UTC 2015

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

OED has 1966 for Chicom ("Chinese communist")

27 Sept 1954 _Pacific Stars and Stripes_ p 7 col 5
"ChiCom (Chinese Command) does not have particularly impressive naval forces.")
[I think, from context, the defining of "ChiCom" as "Chinese Command" instead of "Chinese Communists" is a mistake on the part of the writer, who was transcribing the speech of RAdm S. C. Ring here.  I think Ring would have defined his word as "Chinese Communists".]

7 Feb 1955 _Sedalia [MO] Democrat_ p 4 col 3

"But there are many indications that the Administration still is inclined to dismiss Chicom threats as piffle."

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED