[Ads-l] pop a cap: big antedating

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 2 02:35:46 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> The 1963 cite in HDAS is, IMO, *astonishingly* early for the *exact
> phrase*, "bust a cap _in yo[ur] ass_." A casual Googling has no hits
> earlier than ca. '03 and, since it's in UD, that could be just something
> that the poster made up on the spot. Youneverknow. OTOH, I'm not sure that
> in '63,

Fxcked that up. My apologies.

What I intended to say is that I'm pretty sure that I didn't hear "bust a
cap," whether in anyone's ass or not, before 1962, when I heard "bust a cap
_in yo[ur] ass_," exactly.

Googling finds two different instances of "bursted a cap" from 1839. I
didn't see any instances of "burst/busted/bust a cap" that were earlier
than "bursted...". But...

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson