[Ads-l] Joke: "What do you think of his execution?" "I'm in favor of it"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 3 06:49:12 UTC 2015

Off-list, Barry noted an earlier version that was circulating in 1904.
It originally appeared as the caption of a cartoon in _Brooklyn Life_
on July 2, 1904:

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/83172705/
Professional Jealousy.
"So you went to Dr. Pedal's piano recital, eh? Tell me, what do you
think of his execution."
"To be thoroughly frank with you, I think he thoroughly deserved it."