[Ads-l] "there is always room higher up" 1854 (and 1853?)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Sep 3 14:07:11 UTC 2015

Attributed to Daniel Webster (d. 1852) is the quote above. Other versions attested later, as far as I've seen, include
"always room at the top," "room enough up stairs," "room in the upper story," etc.

'Mr. Webster is said to have stated this great principle of true social reform in conversation once, when some one asked him if the profession of law were not crowded. " I think not," he said, " there is always room higher up." EDWARD E. HALE Worcester, Massachusetts Nov. 14, 1854'

https://books.google.com/books?id=PMMiAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA12&dq=%22always+room+higher+up%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAGoVChMIksH38YHbxwIVyVweCh0aOQ27#v=onepage&q=%22always%20room%20higher%20up%22&f=false

Prize essays on juvenile delinquency--House of Refuge (Philadelphia, Pa.) p. xii.

The subject version also appears in Old Farmer's Almanack for 1854 (snippet, p. 51 published in 1853?) and in the 1855 title, published 1854 (full view p. 3).