[Ads-l] Antedating of "Bonsai"

Sun Sep 6 03:38:04 UTC 2015

According to 近代文学作品名辞典 (http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E6%87%B8%E5%B4%96), the earliest appearance of the Japanese word kengai (懸崖) is 1931 (Showa 6). The bonsai 用語辞典 (http://bonsai.shikoku-np.co.jp/word/cat70/ <http://bonsai.shikoku-np.co.jp/word/cat70/>) says that kengai is where the branches droop lower than the pot.

Wikipedia (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%9B%86%E6%A0%BD <https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%9B%86%E6%A0%BD>) has 根上り for neagari, also in the snippet.

I can imagine that “jikki" might be 実木, real tree, but I cannot find it in a bonsai context. “Nazaschi” is not according to any standard Romanization scheme and I don’t see anything like it on a couple of bonsai pages I consulted.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home