[Ads-l] "go all to smash", '20s slang?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Sep 9 00:42:22 UTC 2015

Cf. "put all to smash" in a poem ca. 1830, drawn to ads-l attention a while
back by Stephen Goranson. The poem is titled "Penal Servitude," and Goranson
posted it as part of his excellent research on "kibosh." The relevant verse says:
"There is one little dodge I am thinking,/That would put your profession all to smash,/
It would put on the kibosh like winking,/That is, if they was to introduce the lash."