[Ads-l] "... down a vicious cycle ..."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 12 04:26:28 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> But can you recall the early days of "vicious cycle", per the OED?

Of course. Can't everyone? But, I was thinking of an earlier, more learned
time, when writers were still conscious of the distinction between Latin
and Greek, such that they matched and didn't mix, in the construction of
the cliches of their future.

English recusant literature, 1558-1640 - Volume 193 - Page 93
A vvord of Comfort. Or a discourse concerning the late lamentable accident
of the fall of a roome, at a Catholike sermon, in the Black-friars at
London, wherewith about fourscore persons were oppressed. Written for the
comfort of Catholiks, and information of Protestants, by I.R.P. [John Floyd]
s.l.: s.n., 1623 - ‎Snippet view
. . . reciprocall proceeding, in prouing one thing by another, is not that
vicious circle, which is reprehended by Logicians . . .

--
-Wilson
-----