[Ads-l] "cover (version)" redux

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 28 05:26:51 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> The indie version, however, hit the best seller charts in both the pop and
> rhythm and
> blues fields, resulting in a rash of cover versions led by the Kay
> Starr version, which is still the No. 1 seller thruout the country.

The "indie version" was the original by The Cardinals, on Atlantic. It's
hard to imagine, these days, that there once was a time when Billboard
regarded Atlantic as a mere "indie" not worth naming, even though Kay Starr
made a habit of ripping off jams by Atlantic's artists, e.g. "Fool,
Fool,Fool," original by The Clovers.
----
- Wilson
-----