[Ads-l] "NA's"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 29 02:06:37 UTC 2015

I'm not sure; does Native Americans here really denote those who used to be designated as Indians, or does it mean "native-born Americans", i.e. those people born in the U.S., in which case it's saying the opposite of what you're (plausibly enough) taking to mean, viz. "We're all immigrants", it's just a question of how many generations ago.  (Where "all" doesn't include the true Native Americans = American Indians.)  Or maybe, with no pejorative intent, it could mean that even N[ative] A[merican]s = American Indians came here from elsewhere too, presumably from Asia, a long long time ago.  We (at least I) need more context to know whether there's pejorative intent here, although I'm probably being naive.

LH