[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Earliest Known Example of "Kilroy Was Here" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Apr 1 18:36:34 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

The following issue of _Texacts_ has (21 Jul 1945, p 3 col 1):

"THEN , in a shipboard newspaper of last month called "The Rag” we find the following: “ Latest news of the world is now flashed to ship’s passengers every afternoon at 3 o’clock by KILROY , unmasked as Sgt. Ed Neibling, formerly announcer for Sheppard Field, Texas, radio shows” "

So, if "The Rag" can be identified, it may hold antedatings.

And p. 5, col 3 of the 21 July issue has:
"Ode To Kilroy
This sign will make me shout, “Hooroy!”
Here lies the body of the late Kilroy.
I’ll clap my hands when it's etched in stone:
Kilroy sleeps beneath . . . alone!
And to this I wouldn’t cry or notten;
Kilroy’s gone—and FORGOTTEN!
—Anon."