[Ads-l] More Precise Information on Antedating of "Kilroy"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 1 21:29:01 UTC 2016

Here's more precise antedating information:

Kilroy (OED 1945 [20 Oct.])

1945 Sheppard Field Texacts (newspaper of Sheppard Field Army base, Texas) 21 Apr. 9/4 (NewspaperArchive)  Who is Kilroy?  What a one man campaign!  He seems destined to go down in history along with Foo and Novschmozkapop as a family by word.

1945 Sheppard Field Texacts (newspaper of Sheppard Field Army base, Texas) 14 July 3/1 (NewspaperArchive)  If we knew the true identity of KILROY we would come right out and say so.  You have seen his name written in a variety of places -- mostly on walls.  He always states, with evident pride, that KILROY did this or that, or that "KILROY was here."

Fred Shapiro