[Ads-l] Language and children; flee/flea. Was: Antedating of Flea Market

Sat Apr 2 15:45:37 UTC 2016

Here is a modern instance of a child misunderstanding the audio output
of a GPS navigator device.

Website: UPI
Title: 'Bear right' GPS message terrifies bear-fearing boy
Author: Ben Hooper
Dtae: March 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/03/31/Bear-right-GPS-message-terrifies-bear-fearing-boy/1521459448607/

[Begin excerpt]
COLORADO SPRINGS, March 31 (UPI) -- A couple perplexed by their
panicking small children while driving through Colorado discovered the
kids were frightened by a GPS warning: "Bear right."

The video, posted to YouTube by Chip Golden, features footage filmed
inside the family's car during a drive to the zoo in Colorado Springs.

"We have a problem," the couple's young son, Austin, says.
"What kind of a problem?" the father asks.
"A bear problem," Austin answers.

The parents grill their children about the issue and discover the
boy's sister, Abby, had heard the TomTom GPS device tell the driver to
"bear right," an instruction Abby took as a warning about a bear on
her brother's side of the vehicle.
[End excerpt]