[Ads-l] AP: Internet -> internet and "to lowercase"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 3 01:34:43 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Benjamin Barrett <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The AP has “internet” capitalized at
> https://www.apstylebook.com/?do=ask_editor&pg=faq <
> https://www.apstylebook.com/?do=ask_editor&pg=faq>; however, with their
> 2016 Stylebook release, they will stop capitalizing it, as per a tweet at
> http://bit.ly/1N3Qe6o <http://bit.ly/1N3Qe6o>. (Hopefully the rest of the
> world will follow this trend, though they are getting a lot of flack from
> people who seem to think it’s a proper noun.)

When I first came across this word, back in the day - e.g.
https://goo.gl/bgyEum, p.15 - it was spelled _internet_. But, it seemed to
me that it should have been spelled _Internet_. Then, when _Internet_
became usual, I was a little annoyed that "they" hadn't stuck with the
original, "correct" spelling.

It goes without saying that I'm now numbered among those "people who seem
to think it’s a proper noun."

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson