[Ads-l] Language and children; flee/flea.

Margaret Lee 0000006730deb3bf-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Mon Apr 4 08:27:22 UTC 2016

My husband says that when he was in elementary school and had to repeat the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag,  he heard and said  "... and to the republic for Richard Stans  ..." (he thought it was a person).
--Margaret Lee

      From: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at MST.EDU>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, April 3, 2016 11:19 AM
 Subject: Re: Language and children; flee/flea.

Many thanks for the reply below and for the others pertaining
to children's language. Daniel's reply *is* helpful; it lets me
know that the flee/flea story wasn't from a friend or family
member of his. A family story of that sort would remain
in one's memory.

Btw, Here are two examples of children's misinterpretations,
provided to me by a student some 35 years ago:
(from a six year old boy): "Our father, who art in heaven,
Hollywood be thy name."
(from a child reciting the Pledge of Allegiance): "...with liver
and onions for all" (= with liberty and justice for all).

If anyone has any other examples, please send them along
any time.  I'm compiling them and will of course give due
credit.

Gerald Cohen