[Ads-l] recycle as an intransitive verb

Benjamin Barrett mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 4 08:51:40 UTC 2016

I just got into trouble with a client because Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recycle) says that the intransitive uses of “recycle” do not include “recycle waste.” The Oxford Dictionary site (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/recycle) and Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/recycle) agree.

I have no trouble with saying “I don’t recycle” and the internet is filled with examples.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle