[Ads-l] Language and children; flee/flea.

Mon Apr 4 21:42:08 UTC 2016

This discussion has drifted onto Mondegreens.  I recall posting to that
discussion the fact that Malachi McCourt, the actor, and brother of Frank
McCourt, wrote his own memoirs with the title A Monk Swimming.  When he was
a boy in Cork, he had thought that the Hail Mary went "blessed art thou a
monk swimming".

GAT

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at mst.edu>
wrote:

> Thanks again for all the responses. And with respect to Kate's
> message below, a similar misinterpretation was made by
> a 2 year old girl saying her prayers:
> "Hail, Mary, full of gravy."
>
> Gerald Cohen
> ______________________________
>
> Kate Svoboda-Spanbock [katesvobodaspanbock at GMAIL.COM],
> April 03, 2016 1:37 PM, wrote;
>
> from a friend who was raised Catholic:
> "Hail, Mary, full of grapes"
> particularly made sense to her with
> "blessed is the fruit of thy womb"
> --
> Kate Svoboda-Spanbock
> katesvobodaspanbock at gmail.com
> 310-880-3091

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998..