[Ads-l] FW (with introduction): Hillary Clinton on Jimmy Kimmel, has no idea why NYC is the Big Apple?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Apr 6 22:04:51 UTC 2016

Independent researcher Barry Popik sent  me an e-mail today with several cc.'s, and I now share it (below my signoff) with ads-l.  First, though, here are excerpts from an item I presented in the Feb. 2016 issue of Comments on Etymology titled: 'Update on "The Big Apple" Research":

 [from COE]: In 1991 I published the first edition of Origin of NYC’s Nickname: The Big Apple, based on leads I found in Peter Tamony’s invaluable collection of Americanisms. About the same time I had the great good fortune to meet independent scholar Barry Popik, who then pursued the subject with energy and acumen. I stood in awe as he made major contributions to the subject; in fact since my 1991 book, all the important contributions to an understanding of ‘The Big Apple’ have come from Popik.  I presented them in various issues of Comments on Etymology and then in my series of Studies in Slang (with due credit, of course), and when it came time twenty years later to prepare a second, revised edition of the ‘Big Apple’ book, I very justifiably included Popik as co-author.

     The revised edition appeared in 2011, but then other than a paper I presented on it at the 2013 biannual meeting of the Dictionary Society of North America, there was a strange silence. It was as if the second edition of the book had never appeared, although I must admit this was due in large part to my failure to publicize it. But recently two items have appeared which will help bring the work out of obscurity. Metcalf 2015 provides a very favorable review, and Cohen & Popik 2015 (which briefly summarizes our work on ‘The Big Apple) appeared in Andrew Smith’s monumental Savoring Gotham: A Food Lover’s Companion to New York City, 2015.
  <snip>
REFERENCES:

ads-l = ads-l at listserv.uga.edu (i.e., the American Dialect Society listserv)
barrypopik.com  --- Barry Popik’s website, with numerous entries, one of which
     is ‘The Big Apple.’
Cohen, Gerald 1991. Origin of New York City’s Nickname ‘The Big Apple’,
     Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang. (superseded by Cohen and Popik 2011)
Cohen, Gerald and Barry Popik 2011. Origin of New York City’s Nickname ‘The
     Big Apple’, Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang. 2nd, revised and expanded edition,
     with an extensive bibliography.
 __________________________2015. Big Apple. This item is a brief summary of
     our ‘Big Apple’ research. – in: Andrew F. Smith’s Savoring Gotham: A Food
     Lover’s Companion to New York City, pp. 51-52.
Metcalf, Allan 2015. Review of Gerald Cohen’s and Barry Popik’s Origin of New
     York City’s Nickname ‘The Big Apple’, in: Dictionaries: Journal of the
     Dictionary Society of North America, no. 36 pp. 168-169,
Smith, Andrew F. 2015. Savoring Gotham: A Food Lover’s Companion to New
     York City. (pp. 51-52 contain the item ‘Big Apple’ by G. Cohen & B. Popik)

 Gerald Cohen
P.S. If Hillary Clinton would like a complimentary copy of the book that Barry Popik and I wrote about the origin of "The Big Apple," she (or a member of her staff) need only request it from me.