[Ads-l] Enslavement of Native Americans [was: wench

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Apr 7 01:59:18 UTC 2016

And, undoubtedly, the ancient Hebrews also apparently sanctioned their enslavement, as they said (and we continue to say at every Seder) Hebrew ('avadim hayyinu'), which is correctly translated as a noun+copula.I.pl.past construction.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Enslavement of Native Americans [was: wench

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

> On Apr 6, 2016, at 7:13 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Except that the Jews that were enslaved by the Nazis are called slaves =
(in
> slavery, slave labor), generally, by historians.
>=20
> Not the first time, either. The Egyptians enslaved them, too.

And those Haggadahs need updated--"We were slaves to Pharaoh in Egypt" > =
"We were enslaved in Egypt"? =20

LH

> On Apr 6, 2016 6:25 PM, "Benjamin Barrett" <mail.barretts at gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>> Okay, so the Jews who were enslaved in World War II aren=E2=80=99t =
generally
>> referred to as =E2=80=9Cslaves.=E2=80=9D Interesting point. But that =
doesn=E2=80=99t answer the
>> request in my e-mail.
>>=20
>> Benjamin Barrett
>> Formerly of Seattle, WA
>>=20
>>> On 6 Apr 2016, at 11:29, Z Rice <zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Mr. Barrett, thank you for your reply. I prefer to avoid these
>> exchanges; I
>>> already know that they're useless. However, I DO recognize the =
perversity
>>> and psychological violence inflicted on the descendants of that =
enslaved
>>> population when they are exposed to that sort of violent, perverse
>>> rhetoric. Those inflicting that perverse, psychological violence do =
not
>>> have the luxury of telling those on the receiving end of that =
violent
>>> rhetoric how to react to it.
>>>=20
>>> As I stated earlier, Jews are not routinely ("ROUTINELY", I said =
this the
>>> first time) referred to in discussions on history as "slaves". I am =
not
>>> interested in whether or not someone finds an example in which they =
were
>>> referred to as such. It does NOT negate my earlier statement. When =
we
>> speak
>>> of Germany, it is not often that we refer to Jews as being "owned" =
or as
>>> "slaves". They remain "Jewish", are overwhelmingly referred to as =
"Jews"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----
Can
>> =3D
>> =3D
>> slave =3D
>>=20
>> The American Dialect Society - =
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialect.=
org&d=3DAwIFaQ&c=3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsS=
xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3DFtpmVB5AcMHe-potC_QfoFGvVZv6dVw43dyDwhsDEgI&s=3DHyFJS7=
xEIELH3K6Vkh7dq6gUs3KeKzk971MjxHeltyc&e=3D=20