[Ads-l] Enslavement of Native Americans -- Nat Turner's Language

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Apr 7 17:04:52 UTC 2016

Partly as a consequence of issues raised in this thread, I (belatedly)
acquired a copy of J.L.Dillard, _Black English_ (1973).

On page 85, Dillard writes:

            "... the most famous of the insurrections was led by the
Standard English-speaking house servant Nat Turner."

I'd always assumed, since I first read it over twenty years ago, that the
Confessions of Nat Turner, as reported by Thomas Gray in 1831, was the most
blatant example of the suppression of nineteenth century black speech that
I'd ever encountered.

Was I wrong?  Did Nat Turner actually speak the way Gray presents him as
speaking?  Or is it the case that Nat Turner's language isn't so much
mediated by Gray's white middle class voice, as totally obliterated by it?

I'd be especially grateful if anyone on the list could point me towards any
evidence of how Turner actually spoke.  Dillard asserts, but doesn't cite
anything to back up his statement.

Further, is Dillard's characterisation of Nat Turner as a house servant
rather than a field servant correct?  Again, I'd always assumed the
opposite.

Robin Hamilton