[Ads-l] “bow-wow”, adj. = “high sounding =?UTF-8?Q?=2C_grandiloquent=E2=80=9D=3F=2C_?=1826

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Apr 10 03:08:18 UTC 2016

In _Reminiscences of Michael Kelly_, Vol. 2, pp. 161-162.  1826
[https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hREbAAAAYAAJ&], we find:

QUOTE

He [Sheridan] then made a sort of rumbling noise with his voice (for he had
not the smallest idea of turning a tune), resembling a deep gruff bow, wow,
wow; but though there was not the slightest resemblance of an air in the
noise he made, yet so clear were his ideas of effect, that I perfectly //
understood his meaning, though conveyed through the medium of a bow, wow,
wow.

UNQUOTE

Scott's journal entry on Jane Austen is dated March 14, 1826.

In _The Quarterly Review_, Vol. 34 (June, 1826), Scott published
(anonymously, but later republished in a collection of his work in 1835), a
review of Kelly's work, quoting the passage in question.

(p. 246 of QR34 --https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=51ZEAQAAMAAJ&)

It seems possible that Scott had the passage from Kelly in mind when he
compared his own style to that of Jane Austen.

Robin Hamilton