[Ads-l] Adage: If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly (June 1908)

Tue Apr 12 16:55:56 UTC 2016

The expression in the subject line has been attributed to Mahatma
Gandhi. This linkage might be facetious. I was sent a request to trace
the saying several months ago, and this message was prompted by
Wilson's message containing the saying.

Other citations and information would be welcome.

[ref] 1908 June, Cosmopolitan Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, An Inside
Tip By George Hyde Preston, Start Page 91, Quote Page 91, (Quotation
appears in text and as a caption), International Magazine Company, New
York. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=GDtXAAAAYAAJ&q=grizzly#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
"Quite so Blair. Now today the word is, hammer it! We have them on the
run. Order our brokers to raid the stock. No half measures! If you are
going to be a bear, be a grizzly! The sooner it is over the better.
The Barnard & Wilkes outfit tried to deceive us, and they have brought
it on themselves."
[End excerpt]

The saying achieved wider distribution in pop culture when it was
spoken in the popular 1981 movie Cannonball Run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N44Swi3rnw

Garson