[Ads-l] cliffhanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 14 00:24:31 UTC 2016

Bill, quite true, I was investigating "The Perils of Pauline", and came to the conclusion that the episode including the cliffhanging did not originally end with whoever still hanging.

In any case, the episode from Thomas Hardy's 1873 serial (if I remember correctly, around the time of the peak of serial publications in British magazines) antedates "Perils of Pauline" and presumably can be verified.

Also, as Jon suggested, I did not find the word "cliffhanger" earlier than the OED's 1937.

Joel

      From: "Mullins, Bill CIV (US)" <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:19 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] cliffhanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Joel, I believe you were investigating "The Perils of Pauline" and whether one of the episodes ended with a cliffhanger.  Confusing the investigation was a statement that extant prints may have been re-edited, so that they do not currently end with what was the original endings.

These contemporary reviews:

http://ia700701.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/27/items/motography11elec/motography11elec_jp2.zip&file=motography11elec_jp2/motography11elec_0463.jp2

http://ia600800.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/34/items/motionp09moti/motionp09moti_jp2.zip&file=motionp09moti_jp2/motionp09moti_0926.jp2

imply that the cliff scene was not originally at the end of episode six.  (Other episodes included cliff scenes, but this appears to be the one that is closest to a "cliffhanger".)