[Ads-l] CPT (1912), on Barry Popik's website

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 14 05:36:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at mst.edu>
wrote:

> CPT

Is that meant as a euphemism? The only version that I've ever heard is what
I picture as "C.P. Time/"c.p. time," explained as "colored people's time,"
C.P. Time/c.p. time being no more transparent, when first heard, than "CPT"
is. Of course, what was clearly the case in 1940's Saint Louis isn't
necessarily the case in any other place at any other time.

And, of course, as Barry notes," 'C. P. T.' was cited in the novel _Nigger
Heaven_ (1926) by Carl Van Vechten."

Case closed.
--
-Wilson