[Ads-l] cliffhanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Apr 15 14:05:12 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

> ----
> I found matches in the Variety database for related terms that occurred a bit earlier. Follow the link to see more contextual details. These
> matches should be verified by examining the scanned pages before being used in publications. I have not seen the scanned pages.
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2014-March/131546.html
>
> {Begin excerpt]
> "cliff-hanging heroines" Sept 3 1930
> "when cliff hanging was an art" Nov 15, 1930 [End excerpt]

Sept 3 1930 cite (see col 1):
http://ia902509.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/2/items/variety100-1930-09/variety100-1930-09_jp2.zip&file=variety100-1930-09_jp2/variety100-1930-09_0001.jp2

I am not able to find the Nov 15 1930 cite in the Lantern database (front end search for Variety in Internet Archive), and suspect it may be in error, as the closest-dated issue of Variety it holds is Nov 19, 1930, not Nov 15, 1930.  But possibly Lantern only holds the weekly edition, and Garson's cite is from a Daily edition.

An earlier relevant citation, from the first two stanzas of "Chasing the Serial", a poem by Harry J. Smalley:

_Film Fun_ Oct 1919 p 7

"I am a trav'ling-man —with fervor undiminished
The motion-pictures daily I do see.
But hereafter I shall view a play that's finished
Right then and there—no serials for me!

In Kalamazoo I saw the op'ning spasm,
It ended with the Hero on a cliff
Hanging by his finger-tips above a chasm—
The Villain sneaking up to land a biff!"
CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED