[Ads-l] RES: _suffer from the shorts_

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Fri Apr 15 23:09:15 UTC 2016

"...these play-for-pay fellows." One of whom was Palmer at 7 under after,
apparently, 36 holes. Quite something how golf pros used to be both admired
and despised, or perhaps it was thus with all pro athletes. Ruth was both an
idol and an object of scorn for "making more than the president" and other
stuff he got up to. Signs of a schizophrenic society that seemed to
appreciate the entertainment but then loathe the classlessness or
meritlessness of it all. Golf bums. Of course, in those days, golf pros
barely made a living. It says Lakewood was a "$20,000 stop" on the PGA tour.
Once (only a few years later, when TV discovered how much commercial time
there was in American sports, and thanks to Arnie's Army) they started
becoming millionaires, they won a little more respect.
DAD

-----Mensagem original-----
De: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Em nome de
Wilson Gray
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 15 de abril de 2016 18:56
Para: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: _suffer from the shorts_

Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      _suffer from the shorts_
---

Pros May Suffer From The Shorts . - Google News The [St. Petersburg,
Florida] Evening Independent - Mar 12, 1962 - Page 4 Pros May Suffer From
The 'Shorts' [headline] https://goo.gl/poC8SS

The article is about the wind on a golf course. I leave interpretation of
the headline as an exercise for the reader.

The Killer Instinct & Other Stories from the Great Depression
https://books.google.com/books?id=3D5EggAQAAIAAJ
Lew Amster - 1987 - =E2=80=8ESnippet view His manager found it impossible to
get Joey another match. Soon, Joey began to _suffer from the shorts_, a
contraction of the wherewithal necessary for the pursuit of life, liberty
and so forth.

In the above meaning, the phrase was in common use, IME, amongst the colored
in StL from the '40's. Given the title of the book, it wouldn't surprise me,
if there were earlier, actual documentation in HDAS.
--=20
-Wilson
-----
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to come
from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-Mark Twain

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.