[Ads-l] GB false positives [was: Semper Gumby (UNCLASSIFIED)]

Tue Apr 19 07:24:23 UTC 2016

One mechanism for the creation of false positives in the Google Books
database was discussed on this list previously. If Google discovers
that some review of a book X contains a phrase P then sometimes when a
search is performed for the phrase P the Google Books search engine
will display book X as a match. Key point: Phrase P may be absent in
the book, and yet the search engine will still display X when a search
is performed for P.

Some group of Google computer scientists must have thought that this
was a very clever extension to the search engine. A book was being
shown because of an indirect "higher level" association. There are
situations in which this would be useful.

If you change "Sorted by relevance" to "Sorted by date" I find that
many of the spurious matches are no longer presented.

Spurious matches have been displayed by GB for years. I noticed it
when searching for fake Mark Twain quotations because GB kept claiming
that the fake quotations were present in various books by Mark Twain.
But a direct search in the Twain books always showed that the
quotations were absent.

Garson