[Ads-l] The man who first flung a word of abuse at his enemy instead of a spear was the founder of civilization

Thu Apr 21 01:19:53 UTC 2016

Back in August 2015 I sent a message to the list about a saying
employed by Freud who credited an unnamed English writer. The saying
is in the subject line.

Now I've located a strong semantic match in 1840. The following
passage is an elaborate joke based on comically twisting the
implications of the saying. This existence of this joke suggests that
the saying was already in circulation in before 1840.

[ref] 1840, The Life and Adventures of Valentine Vox: The
Ventriloquist by Henry Cockton, Chapter 47: Shows How Valentine Tried
an Experiment in the House of Lords and Failed, Quote Page 389, Robert
Tyas, Paternoster Row, London. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=nOsDAAAAQAAJ&q=%22of+knocking%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
If he who was the first to abuse his fellow man, instead of knocking
out his brains without a word, laid thereby the basis of civilization,
it as naturally as possible follows, that the more highly civilised we
become, the more bitterly abusive we must be; and if this bright
deduction be perfectly sound, we may infer, without straining the
imagination much, that we are now fast approaching the very perfection
of civilization, which, of course, is a very great blessing.
[End excerpt]

Great thanks to email correspondent Octavian Laiu who sent to me an
1878 citation. The phrasing in the 1878 cite suggested queries that
located the 1840 citation.

Here is a link to the pertinent QI entry which has not yet been updated.
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/08/05/spear/

Garson