[Ads-l] to redefine

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 22 19:33:40 UTC 2016

Common for twenty-five years, at least. Surprisingly absent from OED:

"to alter the character, nature, or understanding of."

CNN reports that Prince "redefined" both "sex" and "music."

Bonus: CNN also comments awkwardly that besides that, Prince was known "for
his stylishness and funk."

Extra: The sole relevant OED def. ("Music that is funky") is, I believe,
too narrow, esp. since it is meant to cover exx. like "1959...You can even
try to put too much 'funk' in a thing."

Let me suggest that better def. might be "a pleasingly coarse, earthy, or
(in music) bluesy quality."

JL