[Ads-l] Child's misunderstanding: "the donzerly light"

Mon Apr 25 17:05:02 UTC 2016

"Donzerly light" was published in a humor column in 1954. Perhaps some
phrases depicted as childhood misunderstandings have been deliberately
constructed to appear in wordplay jokes. On the other hand, some
genuine childhood misunderstandings might have been shared as jokes or
placed into comedy routines. Perhaps the joke below evolved via
embellishment.

Date: July 30, 1954
Newspaper: Detroit Free Press
Newspaper Location: Detroit, Michigan
Article: Sunny Side
Byline: James S. Pooler
Quote Page 3, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com (Publisher Extra)

[Begin excerpt]
>From Lansing, Jay Bundenthal writes, to ask if you folks had heard
about Mr. Donzerly, the inventor, who had just invented a new
underwater light for deep sea divers.

Hired a local diver named Jose Santos to try it out.

After Jose had got down a good depth, Mr. Donzerly called him on the
intercom and sang, "Jose, can you see by the Donzerly light?"
[End excerpt]

Garson