[Ads-l] Worcester [Was: Dorchester]

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Apr 25 18:36:08 UTC 2016

I hope that wasn't the last Amy will say, since I've changed the subject.

On "Worcester", I pronounce like Amy, "wuh-ster".  I'm assuming her "uh" is not schwa (or the "oo" of "woo") but like "woman" (see OED American pronunciation, where it uses "uh").  Unfortunately, I pronounce the delaying utterance "uh" as schwa, and have to fight that off whenever I see it used here.

Joel

      From: Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 11:40 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Dorchester

The last I'll say on this is:

The non-rhotic, native pron that I hear on the robocalls from the school
system and by some community radio station (WCUW) hosts/spots is
"wuh-stuh" (I don't listen to the local talk radio station, WCRN, but
that would be a place to collect from).

The rhotic approximation that I, and other transplants use, is:
"wuh-ster" (I can fake the vowel, but my rhoticity shows itself in the end.)

I did hear a WUMB dj use "woo-ster". That approximation is really marked
out here. (It's perceived as a clueless foreign pron by a foreigner.)

That is in fact much worse than the fully rhotic ("I'm not even going to
try") "wor-ster".

If you're going to go for the "woo" vowel (and there's some of that
vowel quality floating around in the area prons because the we have that
element in nicknames and such, "The Woo", "The WooCard",  "Woo State",
etc.) make the final syllable non-rhotic: "woo-stah" (as in Woosta
Pizza). The "woo-ster" pron. just clunks.

---Amy West