[Ads-l] kegerator

Benjamin Barrett mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 26 01:31:50 UTC 2016

Not on the Oxford Dictionary site, kegerator is found on Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kegerator <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kegerator>), but the definition implies that you have to start with a refrigerator and use a conversion kit. The Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegerator) makes it clear that that is not the case.

I commonly find people who do not know what a kegerator is.

The earliest citation I see on Google Books is 1994 (http://bit.ly/1pzRw3c <http://bit.ly/1pzRw3c>, Google-dated but appears accurate), which implies that it was already in standard use:

Sexual Communication in the Age of AIDS
Dana Lear

=====
If you go downstairs, we have a bar downstairs, where we have what's called a kegerator.
=====

The next earliest is 1996 (http://bit.ly/2328rsn <http://bit.ly/2328rsn>), but there are dates later than that in the book. It is possible that it is still valid.

The Cornellian, Volume 128

=====
With all the seniors gathered around we decided to have the K.O.K.s get another keg for the 'Kegerator.”
=====

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA