[Ads-l] Modern Proverb: If you always do what you've always done, you always get what you've always gotten

Tue Apr 26 13:57:46 UTC 2016

Thanks, Neal. I included two citations for a variant that was close to
the one you mentioned. The variant used the word pairs "think,
thought" and "get, got". This saying was in circulation by 1983.

[ref] 1983 August 7, Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph, GT
Merchandise Mart, (Classified advertisement), Quote Page J2, Column 3,
Colorado Springs, Colorado. (NewspaperArchive)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
IF YOU continue to think like you've always thought, you'll continue
to get what you've always got. "Is it Enough?"
[End excerpt]

The above instance appeared in a classified advertisement, and the
product being sold was not indicated, but by 1984 the expression was
used in an advertisement for a “Secrets of Selling” 3-Hour Seminar. So
the selling domain was pertinent, but in the early cites no
attribution was presented.

Garson