[Ads-l] Child's misunderstanding: "the donzerly light"

Wed Apr 27 03:54:16 UTC 2016

Clai Rice wrote:
> I distinctly remember an episode from the kid's book Ramona the
> Pest involving "dawnzer lee light." It was published in 1968, and
> I would have read it before 1974.

Here are some details from a recent edition of "Ramona the Pest" that
is visible via Amazon Look Inside. Of course, the text may have been
revised at some point between 1968 and 2013.

Year: 1968 Copyright; edition examined 2013
Title: Ramona the Pest
Author: Beverly Cleary
Quote Page 15
Database: Amazon Look Inside

[Begin excerpt]
Next Miss Binney taught the class the words of a puzzling song about
"the dawnzer lee light," which Ramona did not understand because she
did not know what a dawnzer was. "Oh, say, can you see by the dawnzer
lee light," sang Miss Binney, and Ramona decided that a dawnzer was
another word for a lamp.
[End excerpt]

Garson