[Ads-l] Antedating two meanings for jarhead--mule, and Army member (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon Aug 8 16:36:52 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Slightly earlier:

_Fayetteville [NC] Weekly Observer_ 1 Mar 1906 p 2 col 6 [Newspapers.com]
"I see Mr. Sidney Cain is at home plowing his jar-head."

Another slang term for mule -- rubber tail -- not in OED:

_Alton [IA] Democrat_ 2 July 1926 p 6 col 4 [Newspapers.com]
"This state furnished Uncle Sam a greater number of mules than any other and is known as the largest "jar-head" or "rubber-tail" market in the world."

Another slang term for mule -- Missouri nightingale -- not in OED:

_Salina [KS] Daily Union_ 18 Mar 1908 p 3 col 3 [Newspapers.com]
"It is to say that at a point in Washington recently an army mule, a favorite with the post, died, when the flag was immediately lowered to half-mast, certainly a mark of unusual distinction, even for so useful and engaging an adjunct to society as a Missouri nightingale."

_Bismarck [ND] Tribune_ 30 Aug 1912 p 4 col 2 [Newspapers.com]
"At Leeds a Missouri nightingale nearly chewed the arm off a livery employe."

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED