[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: The United States Is/Are

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed Aug 10 21:04:43 UTC 2016

I may give that a try, but the omission of very common words is only one part of the data collection problem.  You also have to (manually?) filter out stuff like, "Abraham Lincoln, president of the United States, is opening a new soul food restaurant in Foggy Bottom."  (Well, you probably wouldn't have to filter _that_ particular sentence, but you see what I'm getting at.)

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Beth Young [zbyoung at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:59 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: The United States Is/Are

----

It's not a perfect answer, but you can get at this question with the google
books ngram viewer: https://goo.gl/ZXQLy0 (This is one of the searches Ben
Zimmer talks about here:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/bigger-better-google-ngrams-brace-yourself-for-the-power-of-grammar/263487/
)