[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: The United States Is/Are

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed Aug 10 21:25:02 UTC 2016

Thanks. Ben.  Shelby Foote was usually pretty reliable, but I suppose that the anecdote was too good to pass up for Burns's film.

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Ben Zimmer [bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:01 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:  Re: The United States Is/Are

I've written about this canard on Language Log in '05 and for my Word
Routes column in '09.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/myl/languagelog/archives/002663.html
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/the-united-states-is-or-are/

Mark Liberman covered it from different angles on Language Log in '09.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1794
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1798

And I touched on it one more time in a 2013 post (with a Google Ngrams
graph).

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4979