[Ads-l] Santayana and "appointment with April"

Sat Aug 13 14:55:53 UTC 2016

Intriguing anecdote, Stephen. Thanks for sharing the citation. Below
is a precursor from the journal of Thoreau in which he writes: "I have
an appointment with Spring."

Year: 1881
Title: Early Spring in Massachusetts: From the Journal of Henry D. Thoreau
Volume: 5
Editor: Harrison Gray Otis Blake
Publisher: Houghton, Mifflin and Company, Boston, Massachusetts
Quote Page: 200 and 201

https://books.google.com/books?id=GPgRAAAAYAAJ&q=%22with+Spring%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
March 22 1853. As soon as those spring mornings arrive in which the
birds sing, I am sure to be an early riser, I am waked by my genius, I
wake to inaudible melodies, and am surprised to find myself awaiting
the dawn in so serene and joyful and expectant a mood. I have an
appointment with Spring. She comes to the window to wake me, and I go
forth an hour or two earlier than usual. It is by especial favor that
I am waked, not rudely, but gently as infants should be waked.
[End excerpt]

Garson