[Ads-l] notorious = 'well regarded or recognized'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 15 14:26:57 UTC 2016

OK, Here's the OED, sense 1b (1a concerns notorious, i.e. well-known, facts, also not specifically reprehensible ones):

 1b. Of a person, place, etc.: well or widely known; famous; (in later use) esp. noted for a particular quality or feature. Cf. sense A. 5b.

1555   R. Eden Other notable Thynges touchynge Indies in tr. Peter Martyr of Angleria Decades of Newe Worlde f. 319,   A famous and notorious place amonge the Indians.
1588   ‘M. Marprelate’ Epistle (1843) 40   Manie of you..are men verie notorious for their learning and preaching.
1610   P. Holland tr. W. Camden Brit. To Rdr. sig. 5,   I purposed to mention any but such [towns and castles] as were most notorious.
1614   S. Purchas Pilgrimage (ed. 2) 44   Of Cham is the name Chemmis in Ægypt; and Ammon the Idoll and Oracle so notorious.
1778   S. Foote Cozeners i. i. 26   Mrs. Fl. Then the Doctor sings, I Presume. Mrs. Sim. Not a better pipe at the playhouse; He has long been notorious for that.
1865   G. Grote Plato I. 136   Where was the person to be found, notorious and accessible, who could say [etc.].
1927   R. Hoffmann Birds Pacific States in Webster's Dict. Eng. Usage (1989) 669/2   The flight of the Loon is very swift and direct; it is notorious for its ability to dive instantly.
1955   S. H. Adams Grandfather Stories 119   He is..notorious through all the docks of Erie, from Albany to Buffalo, for his probity and his sportsmanship.
1992   Daily Mirror (BNC)    I trained as often and as hard as I could, as hard as anybody on the staff—and that includes my old pal Bryan Robson, who was notorious for his unflagging effort.

At 4 we get into the pejorative senses (for "depreciative or unfavourable connotations", "noted or well known for its egregiousness; flagrant.", etc.).  But as the entry notes, "In some cases it is not possible to ascertain the writer's intent."

So perhaps our flabbergasted/horrified reaction to the positive/neutral uses of "notorious" exhibits a bit of the recency effect.

LH