[Ads-l] [C18-L] watch piece -- missing from OED

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue Aug 16 00:20:02 UTC 2016

See below.

Joel

      From: Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 2:55 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] [C18-L] watch piece

It appears to be an artistic piece placed inside the watch.

"This watch was his father's.  Within the case was a watch-piece, embroidered by Arthur's mother before she was married.  On it were two cupids with purple robes, cuddling together within a wreath, waving a tiny evergreen."

Louisa Whitney, Goldie's Inheritance: A Story of the Siege of Atlanta, Burlington Vermont, Free Press Association, 1903, page 23. HathiTrust.

HathiTrust also has a few early 1800s poems written on the occasion of giving or receiving a "watch-piece."  The introduction of one of those poems seems to describe something similar:

To my young niece, MIss Serene F --- who sent me a watch-piece, on which was painted an elegant basket of fruit, bestrewed with beautiful flowers; around it were these lines: - "this basket I fill, and present it to you, For whom my affection is ardent and true."

The fruit which in your basket came,
Though artificial, dear;
In taste, in fragrance, and in name,
The sweetest of the year. . . . .

William Ray, Poems, on various subjects . . ., Auburn, NY, Doubleday, 1821.
William Ray served on the USS Philadelphia when it was taken by Barbary Pirates in 1803, and he was held prisoner in Tripoli for two years.